Most people don’t realize that ear piercing aftercare is just as important as the piercing process itself. Many people spend a lot of time researching where to get their new ear piercing but forget about the ear piercing supplies they’ll need to ensure their new piercing heals safely.
The most important thing to remember is that for safe healing, a new piercing must be kept clean and dry. Here is what we recommend for basic ear piercing aftercare:
Recommended Ear Piercing Aftercare
- Always wash your hands before touching your ears or piercing earrings.
- During the healing period, keep your piercing dry and clean.
- Do not remove your earrings during the recommended healing period (6 weeks for an earlobe piercing and 12 weeks for a cartilage piercing).
- Cleanse the front and back of the pierced area at least three times daily using a clean cotton swab soaked with Inverness Aftercare Solution.
- Three times daily while cleansing, rotate the earrings completely to prevent the earring from adhering to the ear.
After Ear Piercing Supplies
To be prepared to care for your new piercing, be sure to have these supplies on hand:
- Inverness Ear Care Solution – while it is ok to clean a new piercing with rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, these products can sting and are not recommended for long-term use. Our ear care solution is specially-formulated to cleanse and soothe new piercings and can be used for the duration of your healing period.
- Cotton swabs – these are ideal for cleaning your new piercing. We don’t recommend cotton balls because they are harder to use in small spaces and their fibers can get caught and tug your new earrings.
- Small carrying case – pack a small zip case with after ear piercing supplies for on-the-go cleaning. You should include: cotton swabs, hand sanitizer (to clean your hands if no sink is available), and extra ear care solution to clean your piercing.
Extra Ear Piercing Aftercare Tips
- Avoid spraying perfume or hair products near your piercing.
- Keep hair away from your piercing during your healing period so that it doesn’t get tangled in your piercing earrings.
- Cleanse immediately after swimming, exercising, washing your hair, or using any other hair products.
- Take extra care not to catch your earrings while removing clothing or brushing your hair.
- Exercise caution while participating in sports or rough play. If allowed, cover your piercing with athletic tape or an adhesive bandage to provide extra protection during practices and games.
For more information or questions about ear piercing supplies or aftercare, contact us. Happy piercing!