Ear Piercing Aftercare
Safe healing begins with the piercing process you choose.
Caring for your new piercing is just as important as the piercing itself. Be sure to follow your aftercare instructions carefully, and leave your piercing earrings in for the recommended healing time:
Earlobe Piercings: 6 weeks Cartilage Piercings: 12 weeks
For all piercings:
- KEEP YOUR NEW PIERCING CLEAN & DRY: Always wash your hands thoroughly before touching your ears or piercing earrings.
- CLEANSE 3X DAILY: Cleanse the front and back of the piercing site 3x daily using Inverness Aftercare Solution.
- ROTATE YOUR EARRINGS: Rotate the earrings completely during cleansing to prevent the posts from adhering to the ear.
- MIX IT UP: You may now change your earrings!
EARLOBE PIERCINGS: After your 6 week healing period, you can change your earrings to other styles. For the next 6 months, do not go more than 24H without an earring or your piercing may close.
CARTILAGE PIERCINGS: After your 12 week healing period is complete, you can change to other styles. For the next 6 months, wear earrings 24/7 or your piercing may close.
- PLAY IT SAFE: Continue to clean your piercing site and earrings with your aftercare solution as needed.
Aftercare DOs and DON'Ts
- Keep your piercing clean and dry.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before touching your ears or earrings.
- Cleanse your piercing site 3x daily using Inverness Aftercare Solution.
- Cleanse immediately after swimming or exercising.
- Exercise caution while brushing your hair, removing clothing, or participating in sports.
For the first 6 months after your piercing heals, do protect your piercing by wearing light stud style earrings.
- Do NOT remove your earrings during the healing period.
- Do NOT toy with your earrings too much- the less you touch with your piercing, the faster it will heal.
- Do NOT wear turtlenecks or tight-neck shirts until your piercings have healed.
- Do NOT forget to cleanse your ears immediately after using hair products or perfume. This will help you avoid product build up and irritation.
- Do NOT forget about your newly-pierced ears during ordinary daily activities. Avoid bumping your ears when changing clothes, putting on your glasses, using your phone, or styling your hair.
Do NOT wear heavy earrings for 6 months to a year after your piercing has healed.